IBM Business Intelligence Software & Its Core Capabilities
Business intelligence is defined as “mission critical” by many senior executives today. Organizations are pressured constantly to understand and react quickly to information. In addition, the complexity and volumes of data for all aspects of the environments in which organizations operate is increasing. Markets, regulatory environments, customer and supplier data, competitive information, and internal operational information all impact how data is viewed and interpreted.
The term 'Business Intelligence' was used as early as September, 1996, when a Gartner Group report said:
By 2000, Information Democracy will emerge in forward-thinking enterprises, with Business Intelligence information and applications available broadly to employees, consultants, customers, suppliers, and the public. The key to thriving in a competitive marketplace is staying ahead of the competition. Making sound business decisions based on accurate and current information takes more than intuition. Data analysis, reporting, and query tools can help business users wade through a sea of data to synthesize valuable information from it - today these tools collectively fall into a category called "Business Intelligence."
Normally, Business intelligence (BI) is seen as a broad category of applications and technologies for gathering, storing, analyzing, and providing access to data to help enterprise users make better business decisions. Business intelligence applications can be:
- Mission-critical and integral to an enterprise's operations or occasional to meet a special requirement
- Enterprise-wide or local to one division, department, or project
- Centrally initiated or driven by user demand
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence version 10.2 is the revolutionary new business intelligence release from IBM that breaks down the barriers to analytics. It is revolutionary because it expands traditional BI capabilities with planning, scenario modeling, real-time monitoring, and predictive analytics. These capabilities deliver power in an easy-to-use and unified experience that is collaboration and social networking enabled.
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence version 10.2 enables organizations to gain all the perspectives they need to increase performance by providing the following functions:
- Analytics that everyone can use to answer key business questions—sharpening individual skills and improving business outcomes
- Collective intelligence to connect people and insights to gain alignment—collapsing the time needed to align, decide, and act
- Actionable insight everywhere it is needed in real-time, mobile, and business processes that enable instant response to changing business conditions
Built on a proven technology platform, IBM Cognos Business Intelligence version 10.2 is designed to upgrade seamlessly and cost-effectively scale for the broadest of deployments. It provides you and your organization the freedom to see more, to do more, and to make smart decisions that drive better business results.
BUSİNESS INTELLIGENCE CAPABILITIES
- Professional report authors can design, build and securely distribute multilingual reports to the enterprise.
- Business users can easily create their own reports on the fly or modify existing reports using trusted data without having to ask IT.
- IT administrators can deploy, manage and expand the reporting application from a central console that streamlines administrative tasks.
- The mobile workforce can access and interact with reports on mobile devices, in Microsoft Office applications, in embedded and in-process business intelligence and while disconnected.
- Access all the information—at all angles and perspectives—they need to drive informed decisions.
- Seamlessly transition to deeper analysis capabilities and perform complex analysis tasks quickly and easily to get to the “why” behind an event or action.
- Validate key information and drive business decisions by incorporating statistical evidence in reports.
- Drill-down into and filter real-time data and incorporate analysis of a broader range of alternative scenarios to build “what-if” projections.
- Deliver the power of predictive analytics into the hands of business users.
- Align strategy with operations.
- Communicate strategy and track your progress.
- Ensure accountability for performance.
- Share with more user communities.
- Enjoy simple deployment and administration.
- Analyze information and share the results to follow a train of thought or generate a unique perspective.
- Assemble and format all kinds of content by dragging-and-dropping, filtering, modifying and arranging layout, adding colors and text and personalizing widgets. Change display, add calculations, prompt, drill up and down and sort data with more advanced dashboard capabilities.
- Distribute dashboards and integrate them with IBM Connections for improved collaboration and alignment.
- Access and interact with dashboards regardless of language or location with mobile applications.
- Schedule, burst and distribute professionally authored dashboards to a broad audience of consumers including those who need disconnected access to their dashboards.
- Experience insight wherever you are through quick and simple access to business intelligence.
- Interact with information like never before in a rich, visual and interactive experience.
- Confidently and easily deploy relevant and reusable business intelligence to any device.
6) Disconnected BI
7) Statistics –
8) Real-time Monitoring –
- Drill-down capabilities and exception management. Users can quickly determine the root cause of an issue.
- Business-defined alerts. Users can set watch points, collaborate and alert all parties to sudden issues to address exceptions based on business rules.
- Robust self-service query, reporting and analysis. Users can create and author reports, query any data source and analyze information on their own with a flexible, drag-and-drop report authoring environment.
- Simplified administration. Administrators have a central place to set up data sources and analytic models to present current information, historical data or aggregated views.
- Centralized security. User, group and role-based access provides access control to events, cubes, views, dimensions, rules, alerts, portlets and dashboards.
9) Collaboration –
Share insights and solicit ideas with a broad set of social networking capabilities provided by IBM® Connections. Integrated access to blogs, wikis and message boards enable you to expand the reach and impact of your information and gather input from different perspectives.
Raise the value of your business intelligence by increasing user understanding of the information it contains. IBM business intelligence software provides a broad set of report-level features to help you better describe your data, capture insight about it and prescribe how to use it.
Put better decisions into action with workflow and task management capabilities that connect people with insights and coordinate decisions with activities in a seamless, closed-loop environment. Assign ownership, manage initiatives and track projects.
10) Planning and budgets –